Saturday, November 29, 2008

Time to retire the red button

I've just about had it with the red button. You know...the one at the end of every Barack Obama email that says "Donate Now?"

I have much love for Barack Obama. Back when he was the insurgent candidate, I gladly clicked the little red button and took "ownership" of the campaign. As he surged into the lead during the primaries, I was one of those millions pledging my love in small amounts.

He needed more money to stave off McCain, and I complied. Little by little, I registered my support and made my voice known.

But then something changed. McCain agreed to accept $80 million for his campaign, and Obama was still raising prodigious amounts of money each month. His fundraising crescendoed in September when he raised $150 million. He collected almost twice as much as McCain had for his entire campaign...in a month. Still the red buttons continued.

Just weeks were left in the campaign, and Obama was buying up blocks of TV time that competed with the World Series. Still he asked us to "Donate Now." I must admit that that little red button got less and less appealing to me. It seemed a bit much to ask me for more money when he was outspending the competition by record amounts.

Still they asked. Even though the campaign has ended, the red buttons persist. There is something unseemly about a president-elect begging for money. At that point, you are about to take control of the most efficient fundraising machine ever -- the IRS. I'm beginning to wonder if we can expect rebates from a campaign that expects a perpetual hand out.

It's about time for us to start emailing him our own little buttons. All this other bailing out is going on, and I'd like some of that action. Christmas is coming. Times are hard for everyone, and we need some help. Hey President-elect Obama: