Monday, July 14, 2008

So long, Snowbird

I wouldn’t normally listen to a guy like Tony Snow, and for much of his career, I didn’t. I always assumed he was your typical smug Fox News pundit.

I was proved wrong at two points later in his career. I came to admire him as a spokesperson for the White House. Maybe it was in contrast to his predecessor the bumbling monosyllabic Scott McClellan. Press secretary fior the White House has got to be one of the toughest PR job in the world, yet Tony always made it look easy. You almost wanted to like the guy, even if you detested the policies he defended.

He had an easy affable manner even with the most contentious issues.

My second encounter happened in April when he came to speak to a group of communicators in my company. I groaned to myself when I heard he would be the main speaker. Even briefly consider sneaking out. I’m glad I didn’t.

Tony was engaging, funny, and fascinating. He told story after story of being in the White House. He talked about resisting the job when it was first offered. (Doesn’t everyone say that? Who accepts a job the first time asked?) He then spoke of being whisked away in a car with dark windows, into the White House and up a back elevator. When he got out, there was the president with his leg over the arm of the chair.

“Hey Snowbird!” the president said. I want you to come work for me. Snow said he protested briefly but then capitulated. He then regaled us with more stories of the president and working in the White House.

He was clearly a man who was enjoying his life. Hard to imagine at the time, he was so close to the end. Then, with a smile and a twinkle, he bounded out of the room. And that was the last time I saw him alive.

For most of his career, I wouldn’t normally listen to a guy like Tony Snow. Now part of me wishes I had. So long, Snowbird.