Sunday, May 11, 2008

John McCain's bearings

One commentator called it "the most wince inducing moment of the campaign." He might have been right.

While retaliating to a John McCain statement that Barack Obama is the candidate of Hamas, Obama bristled that John McCain had "lost his bearings."

Not wanting to be left out of the victimhood game that seems the enthrall all the candidates this year, McCain's campaign shot back that Barack Obama was poking fun at McCain's age.

Later at a press event, while McCain was defending his comments, Joe Lieberman stepped to the microphone and volunteered this: "I just want everyone to know that I checked John McCain's bearings this morning, and they are just fine."

Wince. Yuck!

This is the guy who brought us Jomentum, just for a bit of context.

Awkwardness aside, if I were fighting the perception that I was too old for a job, I wouldn't want to do it by putting out the message that someone has to check my bearings for me. I'll check my own bearings, thank you very much. I'm young enough to do that.

But Joe Lieberman thought it would be cute to say he checked John McCain's bearings. That gives me a visual that I just didn't need. What two consenting adults do in the sauna when nobody is watching is their business. I don't need to hear about it at a press conference.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)