Thursday, May 22, 2008

Give the bike back, Hillary

Am I the only one who shudders whenever Hillary brags that an 11-year-old boy sold his bike and video games to contribute to her campaign? I am thinking she should be ashamed to take the money not bragging about it.

Apparently someone found the lad, and he's pretty media savvy.

Dalton, 11, answered the phone himself when we called his home in McAndrews, Ky. An aspiring politician, he speaks clearly, deliberately and authoritatively – and any contemporary politician would admire his ability to stay on-message.

“I believe Mr. Obama is a very good speaker, and I believe that he could run our country, also but I really believe that Hillary has very good views on specific issues that are important to this election,” he said, including “the war, the economy and health care.”
And apparently, he was moved to do something to help.

Dalton said he was driven to donate about two months ago. “I saw that her funds were running low,” he said.

“I just saw so much that I did not need such as like my video games, and I thought, ‘What can I do with them?’”

He sold them, as well as his bike, and also collected other donations. He got to tell former President Bill Clinton at an event two weeks ago, and Mrs. Clinton on Monday.

“He was speechless, and he almost got tears, he was very emotional,” Dalton said of his favorite president’s reaction.

He said he was “nervous” meeting Mrs. Clinton.

“I believe that she helped her husband run the country and that’s why I’m supporting her today,” he said.
Now I'm wondering who his parents are. Who brainwashed this poor boy into memorizing all of Hillary Clinton's talking points? How did he just happen to be in the position to meet Hillary AND Bill Clinton. This isn't feeling like the innocent and heartwarming anecdote anymore.

Oh yeah, and there is no need to worry about him not having his bike. A group of politicians raised money to replace his it — with one he says is better than the old bike. Something about this whole story is fishy to me. In any event, the politicians shouldn't have had to "raise money" to buy a new bicycle. The senator who is worth $109 million should have returned it.