Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stumped the candidate

We all knew it, but finally a Republican said it. Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel is questioning whether Palin has enough foreign-policy experience to serve as the country’s second-in-command.

“She doesn’t have any foreign policy credentials,” Hagel told the Omaha World-Herald. “You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don’t know what you can say. You can’t say anything.

“I think they ought to be just honest about it and stop the nonsense about, ‘I look out my window and I see Russia and so therefore I know something about Russia,” he added. “That kind of thing is insulting to the American people.”

Of course, her followers will argue that comments like that are unfair to Palin by being so critical. That's what one supporter at a town hall meeting thought when she lobbed this softball to Palin.

"Please respond to that criticism and give us specific skills that you think you have, to bring to the White House, to rebut that or mitigate that concern," asked the sympathetic questioner.

But Palin did not list specific skills, instead she gave a broad, incomprehensible response:

"I think, because I am a Washington outsider, that opponents are going to be looking for a whole lot of things that they can criticize, and they can kind of beat the candidate here who chose me as his partner to kinda tear down the ticket," Palin responded. "But as for foreign policy, you know, I think I am prepared and I know that on Jan. 20, if we are so blessed as to be sworn into office as your president and vice president, certainly we'll be ready. I'll be ready. I have that confidence. I have that readiness, and if you want specifics with specific policy or countries, go ahead. You can ask, you can play 'stump the candidate' if you want to. But we are ready to serve."

Play stump the candidate? We don't need to play that game. She's already stumped.

She who knows not and knows not that she knows not is a fool. Shun her. - Unknown.