Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Time for a cool change

My online dictionary says that change means to make or become different, which is just vague enough to fit the wide range of uses I see attributed to the now overused word on the campaign trail.

I was drowning in a sea of “change” when CNN's Jeanie Moss said what I’m sure we were all thinking. Every candidate (everyone except Bill Richardson) is now jockeying to be the agents of “change.”

I first heard it when Barack Obama talked about bringing “Change We Can Believe In” and when he told us “The time for change has come.” Back then it was cool; today it is cliche. Everyone rushed to use the same phrase as the cool kid and in the process, made it uncool. How can we ever get them to change?

In their honor, I leave you with John Farnham and the Little River Band. Now change already.