Monday, March 21, 2005

Operation Iraqi Freedom: Two Years and Still No Super Bowl

What do the New England Patriots and the War in Iraq have in common with millions of Americans? I'll tell you in a minute. Stick with me.

Last weekend, the president reminded us that the Iraqi war reached its two-year milestone. It's hard to believe that two full years have elapsed since we first saw the orange streaks across the Iraqi night sky and became acquainted with the term "shock and awe."

In two years, the country experienced an emotional journey. We mourned with families of fallen soldiers and shared in the exhilaration of Iraqi voters. We will always remember the images of Sadam's statue falling as well as Americans hanging from a bridge in Fallujah.

The anniversary is not only a good time to reflect on where we've been but to assess what we have achieved. In his radio address March 19, President Bush laid out three accomplishments.

"On the this day two years ago, we launched Operation Iraqi Freedom to disarm a brutal regime, free its people, and defend the world from grave danger," Bush said.

Lodged in those three measurements are legitimate reasons for Bush to be commended but also reasons why widespread acceptance of the war has eluded him.

It's easy to verify the first two points of measurement. Did we disarm a brutal regime? We all saw the statue fall, the leader captured, and the people vote. Check that one off.

What about free its people? "In January, over eight million Iraqis defied the car bombers and assassins to vote in free elections," Bush reported. "This week, Iraq's Transitional National Assembly convened for the first time. These elected leaders broadly represent Iraq's people and include more than 85 women. They will now draft a new constitution for a free and democratic Iraq."

Not many of those facts are in dispute either.

The third point, "defend the world from grave danger," still remains the subject of heated debate. Critics remind us that the weapons of mass destruction never materialized and nothing more concrete than Sadam's "intent" was offered as evidence of grave danger. I think it's fair to conclude that we are far from consensus on that point.

The administration complains that the media and Americans don't give them enough credit for their victories in Iraq. They are probably right. Bush can rightly claim that they have freed 25 million people from oppressive grip of an Iraqi dictatorship. In Iraq, schools and hospitals are open. The economy is improving.

These are all laudable achievements, but I still have one nagging question after reading them.

So what?

I'm happy for the progress, but it has absolutely no impact on my daily quality of life. It's like watching another city's team win the Super Bowl.

I grew up in Louisiana, which pretty much makes me an oddity outside of the state's borders. Why? I'm a Saints fan. There aren't many of us Saints fans out-side of Louisiana unless you count the support groups. Each year, we get all revved up with the promise that this year will be our year. Each year, we have our hopes dashed. Last year, we came to the brink of the playoffs only to see opportunity evaporate during the last minutes of one of the last games of the last week of the regular season.

I watched with interest as the New England Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl. I can understand the excitement of New Englanders as they claimed an-other Vince Lombardi trophy (after all, LSU did win a national championship two years ago). But other than that, I didn't care. It wasn't the Saints.

That's how I feel watching Iraqis celebrate voting and new schools. I would much rather see residents of the District of Columbia vote. I would much rather see the schools in my county improve. I'm happy for Iraqis who do enjoy these accomplishments, but I'm not personally invested in them.

What would it take to get personally invested? Tell me what's in it for me -- which brings us back to the third point of measurement. The third accomplishment, "defend the world from danger," is the only one that can make Iraqi successes relevant to everyday Americans. Yet, it is the only accomplishment the Bush administration has failed to demonstrate in a convincing way.

Until they make the case for the third measurement, or prove to me why I should care, they will have a hard time generating my excitement for the first two.

What do the New England Patriots and the Iraqi War have in common with the lives of millions of Americans? Absolutely nothing. And until you convince me that they do, I'll reserve my excitement for the promise of a new Saints season. Good for your New England. Good for you Iraq. Geaux Saints!